Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hakuna Matata

Well, things at work haven't picked up much, since the Food and Wine Festival has yet to begin. But that's coming soon, so hopefully it will start to get busier and the time will go by faster.

This past weekend I had sort of a crisis. I started researching all the professional internships I could get in January, and they all had a similar requirement: must be enrolled in a college or university. Since I have already graduated, I panicked. I made a bunch of calls, and no one could seem to give me a definite answer if I was still eligible. Heather and I decided to go to Downtown Disney, so I could drown myself in good food and Strongbow at Raglan Road Irish Pub. It was just the pick-me-up I needed. We did a little shopping too, and it was just a great overall night.

So Monday was the Professional Internship networking soirée, and I just had to bite the bullet and find out from the recruiters if I could still apply. I got to talk to a woman from Disney Event Group, and she told me as long as I do everything consecutively, I was good to go. So I graduated, then am doing my program now, and if I do my internship in January it will still be okay. I was so relieved. Crisis averted. I also talked to people from Management-Rooms and Related and Management-Food Service. Those are other areas I might be interested in, but since I'm eligible for the Event Planning ones, I'll probably apply for the Convention Services and Event Planning internships. I plan on talking to my manager (if I can ever get a hold of him...) and the Event Group woman to see what would be the best fit, a Professional internship or a Management internship. Deadlines to apply are Oct. 3rd, so I'll be making my decisions soon. I'll let you guys know what I choose.

So after the soirée, I went with Heather to Animal Kingdom, where we met up with Kelly, another Epcot Vacation Planner, and her friend Chris from UGA, who brought his friend Jacqui, who is "best friends" with Belle. So that was pretty cool to meet a "friend" of a princess. We did Pocahontas and her Forest Friends show, which is closing soon, and of course Finding Nemo the Musical. I love that show, and Heather bought the soundtrack, so I'm excited to possibly burn it. Then we came back and watched Enchanted because Kelly had never seen it (which is crazy because I've seen it probably a million times and never get sick of it).

On Tuesday, Kelly and I stopped by Property Control, where they have tons of Disney merch that's severely discounted for Cast Members. I got a really cute Tinkerbell watch for 12 dollars, and an oven mitt so I can stop burning myself when I cook. Oh! And I got a haircut earlier that morning. It's kind of short again, but I can still put it up, so that's good. I think I'm growing it out, but it's nice to have a style again, since my last haircut was awful. But anyway, going shopping was fun, and I think I made a new friend. Then, at night, Heather and I were in a musicals mood, so we watched Once and Phantom of the Opera.

Yesterday, I went to work in the morning, and about two hours into it, I got really lightheaded all of a sudden, took my break early, and almost passed out on the way to the break room. I ate a granola bar and sat in the A/C for awhile, but I went home early in case I was overheated or dehydrated or something. It was weird, but I'm feeling better.

So now I'm going in to work from 3:45-9:45, and I hope all goes well.

P.S.-Today, I have officially been here a month. It's crazy how fast time flies. Not sure if I'm in the place I'd thought I'd be a month ago, but life is definitely better than the first week. I have a couple friends, a nice roomie, and I'm liking work. AND I'm still eligible for an internship, the whole reason I came down here.

I'm also excited at the prospect of all the people visiting me soon. Mom and Amanda in less than a month (woo woo!), Anna possibly in November, Mom and Dad in December, and I talked to Andy a couple days ago, and he wants to come down in December. I miss everyone, and the only way I'm getting through work is daydreaming about my loved ones coming down here soon.

Keep it real, folks.

No comments: